Monday, July 06, 2009

Laundry Soap

Photobucket
After reading that you can make your own laundry soap for very cheap, I just had to give it a try. It was so easy (about a 20 minute project) and kinda fun. I was doubtful that it would really turn out, but after letting it set for a day, it gelled and truly became a liquid detergent! I was able to find these 3 ingredients at Winco believe it or not. I also had to buy a 5 gallon bucket at home depot. My initial investment was about $10, but the actual batch of soap cost less than $3. It should last at least 6 months, maybe longer and then for the next several batches, I will only have to spend $1.50 for the bar of soap. Amazing!!! Sorry I don't have a review for how well it works yet, it is still too soon to tell. I am so excited to take out expensive laundry soap from my budget. I wish I had a front loader, it would last forever!

Here is the recipe from the Dugger Website if you are interested:


Homemade Liquid Laundry Soap- Front or top load machine- best value

4 Cups hot tap water
1 Fels-Naptha soap bar
1 Cup Washing Soda
½ Cup Borax

- Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.

-Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.

-Stir and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser half full with soap and then fill rest of way with water. Shake before each use. (will gel)

-Optional: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons. Add once soap has cooled. Ideas: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil.

-Yield: Liquid soap recipe makes 10 gallons.

-Top Load Machine- 5/8 Cup per load (Approx. 180 loads)

-Front Load Machines- ¼ Cup per load (Approx. 640 loads)

10 awesome comments:

Sherry Ellsworth said...

ooohhh.. i wanna try it. that is a sweet idea! i really like all of this stuff. nice work!

Anonymous said...

My roommate and I are going to try this! I have a front loader so I'll have enough soap to last me through next year. Holy cow!

Valerie and Christopher said...

this is so rad! you have to write a review on how it works.

Tammy said...

I totally need to try this!

Sarah said...

I LOVE homemade cleaners! Let me know how it works, because if it does I'll definitely be a convert :) Thanks for sharing!

Holli said...

I saw the flyer for that, but haven't tried it. We just got a front loader and it says it recommends laundry soap with 'HE' on the container. Here's why: http://housewares.about.com/od/laundryappliances/f/hedetergents.htm

So not sure if this would be a great soap for front loaders. I'd be interested to hear if anyone knows.

Anonymous said...

Okay. So, you got me started....if you use fabric softener I found this.

Home Brew

I found that recipe for fabric softener in an issue of Tightwad Living:

2c baking soda
2c white vinegar
4c water
Mix ingredients and store in a plastic or glass container in your laundry area. Label the container and keep it out of the reach of children. To use: Shake he mixture and add 1/4c to the final rinse in your washing machine. If you have hard water, use 1/3c.

Yours Truly said...

Let us know how it works. I also have a front loader who wants to try it first?!

Pricilla said...

I know that the people that I got this recipe from use front loaders and they said it is a low suds formula in their book. That is all I know, I don't have a front loader, so good luck on that one, I can't really try that one out.

Adam and Kristin said...

Cilla, did you ever figure out if it worked????

Blog Widget by LinkWithin