Friday, April 17, 2009

Ouch!

Dallin came running in to me screaming a couple of days ago and was yelling about how it stung him! His leg looked a little red but I couldn't figure out what happened. I asked him if it was a bee and he thought so, but it didn't look like a bee sting. Then before my eyes a bump started swelling up right in the middle of the red area. Yep, it was definitely a bee sting. I doubted at first especially because he didn't seem like he that much pain as, but he was, poor little guy. It has been so long since I have dealt with a sting that I had to think for a minute about what to do. I remembered my mom putting baking soda and water on mine when I was a kid, but I wasn't sure. I found some Calamine lotion in the medicine drawer and decided to try that. Wow, talk about instant relief. It totally soothed it and he was fine within 10 minutes.

Shortly after that, he showed me a dying bee on the sidewalk that had fallen out of his pant leg as he ran inside. So that is our first bee sting story in our little family. I looked up bee sting treatment online and the baking soda thing was right, but it also mentioned the calamine lotion. It also said to wash the sting with soap and water and wipe it with alcohol first so I will remember that for next time.

2 awesome comments:

Sarah said...

Poor kid! We had a beehive when I was little - in a pinch, mud directly on the sting works wonders!

Yours Truly said...

Thanks for the info on bee stings. I just got one this morning in the neck. Good thing I read your blog on Friday. I knew just what to do. The baking soda worked well, it didn't swell like it usually does.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin