We have now officially had our first friend birthday party! I had way too much fun researching our Star Wars theme. There were so many fun ideas on the web that I planned a ton of fun activities. I copied a lot of ideas and put my own twist on a few too. The boys had a great time. Watching their faces was the best, as they received their different missions and became real Jedi.
Food:

I used a lot of food ideas from googling, it was so fun. We had Saber sticks, made with white melting chocolate, food coloring and pretzels. Then there were the Jabba Jello (jigglers recipe), dark side and Light side dip (salsa and guacamole). Jar Jar Dogs (pig in blanket), R2D2 cubes(cheese), Skywalker Salad (chicken ceasar), Wookie Cookies(no bakes), Yoda Soda (sprite) and Vader Juice (root beer). Hovering over the food was the Death star with streamers draping all around.




I printed some Star Wars coloring pages from the web and the kids had a great time decorating with them. It was actually really good for giving them a job to do while I was busy with the other preparations. They really liked being part of the set up.
I used a lot of food ideas from googling, it was so fun. We had Saber sticks, made with white melting chocolate, food coloring and pretzels. Then there were the Jabba Jello (jigglers recipe), dark side and Light side dip (salsa and guacamole). Jar Jar Dogs (pig in blanket), R2D2 cubes(cheese), Skywalker Salad (chicken ceasar), Wookie Cookies(no bakes), Yoda Soda (sprite) and Vader Juice (root beer). Hovering over the food was the Death star with streamers draping all around.
I printed some Star Wars coloring pages from the web and the kids had a great time decorating with them. It was actually really good for giving them a job to do while I was busy with the other preparations. They really liked being part of the set up.
When the boys arrived, I presented them with Jedi robes. I bought clearance fabric at walmart and cut them into big rectangles with a head hole. It was a knit fabric so it didn't fray. I tied twine around their waist which I already had so the robes only came out to be a dollar each. I got swim noodles at the dollar store, cut them in half and put electrical tape on them for handles. Great no tears sabers for .50 each!
Once they had their gear I told them about our 3 Jedi Trials that we were going to do:


Eden had her feeling hurt at the moment, but was happy the rest of the time.
Eden had her feeling hurt at the moment, but was happy the rest of the time.
For the each trial we received a "transmission" that had a picture of who it was from on one side and a message that I would read on the other. I am so not good at the Star Wars lingo so this really saved me. Props to Wikipidea for the background info, I never would have come up with this stuff without that. The first transmission was from Obi Won Kanobi:

Saber Ballon Training:



Jedi Balance Training:

We also did Advanced saber training with bubbles to finish off the first trial. Then we returned to home base (our living room) to read a transmission from Princess Leia:

To restore the Galaxy for Trial 2, they had to destroy Jabba the Hut with water balloons to save Princess Leia and Han Solo.


Transmission for Trial 3 came from Luke Skywalker:

Death Star Pinata:

This is Eden giving a go at it. Peter had a great idea to let them use their non-destructive sabers before the hard stick so they could all get a nice long turn. They each got a good 30 seconds to wack at it and they really let that Death Star have it let me tell you.


Mission accomplished. I made this pinata by using a bopper balloon from the dollar store.

Saber Ballon Training:
Jedi Balance Training:
We also did Advanced saber training with bubbles to finish off the first trial. Then we returned to home base (our living room) to read a transmission from Princess Leia:
To restore the Galaxy for Trial 2, they had to destroy Jabba the Hut with water balloons to save Princess Leia and Han Solo.
Transmission for Trial 3 came from Luke Skywalker:
Death Star Pinata:
This is Eden giving a go at it. Peter had a great idea to let them use their non-destructive sabers before the hard stick so they could all get a nice long turn. They each got a good 30 seconds to wack at it and they really let that Death Star have it let me tell you.
Mission accomplished. I made this pinata by using a bopper balloon from the dollar store.
Peter thought it was hilarious that the Death Star was made out of used up Care Bear color book pages.

Dallin got some great Star Wars stuff from his friends and the big hit for him was this tractor set that he got from Amber.
Dallin got some great Star Wars stuff from his friends and the big hit for him was this tractor set that he got from Amber.
The kids thought that they were done with games since they finished their trials and became Jedi...until we got an emergency transmission from Yoda. Even though they were new at being Jedi, they accepted one more challenge. dun dun dun!!!!

Defeating Vader:

We covered up the windows so that they could not see inside. Then we told Dallin to open the door to see if Vader was in there. He really hesitated for a moment to open the door until his friends started cheering him on. Then they started hearing the breathing from inside.

So Dallin opened the door and there he was!!!

I think the kids were scared but brave. Only one was too scared to attack.




They defeated Vader but then got a chance to have individual duals on the Trampoline: The kids were just so mystified over Vader being there. I think Eden hid in the house the whole time for this part.


Cake:

I found this idea for a light saber cake that was really easy. It is just a 9x13 cake cut into 3 even strips. Dallin thought it was awesome and he kept pushing the M&M button all day.



I love the look on Dallin's face, ready to get that last candle.
Defeating Vader:
We covered up the windows so that they could not see inside. Then we told Dallin to open the door to see if Vader was in there. He really hesitated for a moment to open the door until his friends started cheering him on. Then they started hearing the breathing from inside.
So Dallin opened the door and there he was!!!
I think the kids were scared but brave. Only one was too scared to attack.
They defeated Vader but then got a chance to have individual duals on the Trampoline: The kids were just so mystified over Vader being there. I think Eden hid in the house the whole time for this part.
Cake:
I found this idea for a light saber cake that was really easy. It is just a 9x13 cake cut into 3 even strips. Dallin thought it was awesome and he kept pushing the M&M button all day.
I love the look on Dallin's face, ready to get that last candle.
Just when they thought the fun was over we got one last transmission from Han Solo:

Outside they had a sort of easter egg hunt to find their astroids. These were their goody bags wrapped in foil. Inside I put a glow stick, sparkly bug, candy, and an foam door hanger with space stickers to decorate it with (all from the dollar store).
Outside they had a sort of easter egg hunt to find their astroids. These were their goody bags wrapped in foil. Inside I put a glow stick, sparkly bug, candy, and an foam door hanger with space stickers to decorate it with (all from the dollar store).
The party was a HUGE hit. When the kids were eating cake I heard one of the boys say "This is the best party ever!" Everyone had a great time. This morning I asked Dallin what his favorite part of his birthday was and he said it was fighting Darth Vader.
Since I love to be cheap here was the cost break down. If I had known how many kids were coming from school, I could have saved a lot, but I had to prepare for everyone just in case. Next time, we are only inviting people that I have phone numbers for because people are not good at RSVP:
Robes: $12
Sabers:$6
Goody bags: $9
Pinata: $2 plus $4 for candy
Cake: $6
Decorations and game materials: $7
Food: Not sure because I already had a lot of stuff, but that was the more expensive part.
I feel pretty good about the money saved by making things myself. It is still a lot, but could have been a lot more.
After the party, Peter brought the costume that we had borrowed out again so that the kids would know for sure that it was just Daddy. Eden still wanted nothing to do with it:






Credit: I got most of my ideas from Peter's brother Larry D, my cousin April and this person I dont know,
so thanks guys!
Credit: I got most of my ideas from Peter's brother Larry D, my cousin April and this person I dont know,
so thanks guys!
So, of course I had to make a music video. I couldn't get it to load so stay tuned...
2 awesome comments:
That is so awesome, our kids would have loved to be there. I think the Jaba and pinata were great ideas. Gald Dallin loved it.
post it on the birthday website you can win $5 or more. If I can win with my horrible writting skills you can, and give some of your great ideas to others.
Next time you have a star wars party, make sure I'm invited. 10 hour drive be darned. Love the cake too, super cute! That will be his favorite birthday I bet.
Post a Comment