It has been about a month since we embarked on the Accountable Kids program. This program is so well thought out! The starter video is all that is needed to get going and off we went. basically, it instills the work before play mentality. The kids enjoy earning their tickets when they finish each portion of their schedule. Even more, they like to earn bonus bucks for doing extra chores. It has been so helpful for us. We didn't have the kids do many chores before so it is a new thing for them. And now that they earn bonus bucks, we can teach the children valuable money management skills that are so vital to becoming responsible adults. The other day, one of the kids helped me mop the entire main living areas. The next day I heard him say, "Wow, this floor is so clean!". Not something he ever would have noticed before. He has learned to have pride in his work and enjoy the results. Priviledge passes have been helpful as we try to phase out bad habits. Best Behavior cards are probably the biggest novelty for the kids. When they do a good deed, sometimes they ask for a best behavior ticket. That's when I say, "Not this time, but great job." Then when I see them sincerely use kind actions or go the extra mile, I reward them and they just beam about it.
Tuesday, April 06, 2010
Accountable Kids Review
Posted by Pricilla at 12:09 PM
Labels: Cool Products
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 awesome comments:
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this! Cilla, you are one cool women to find such amazing programs for your kids!
Sounds like a great program. You should share it with all the mom's you meet. I think it will be of great benifit to many and there is no point to reinventing the wheel. I'm so glad you found the program. Keep us updated. I'm so behind on reading your blog. And now allergy season is in full swing I've been too whiped out to blog
Hi, We just started this program too recently. Do you use the tickets like they were originally intended, in the book? I just can't seem to get going. I feel like - i'm going to be a ticket taker now on top of all my other responsibilities, what if i just want them playing outside b/c it's better for me at the time and they can't b/c they haven't earned a ticket, what activities do i restrict to a ticket, what if they want to do something with an earned ticket (like a parent guided craft) but i can't help at the time? On another blog I read she was putting a card behind each set of chores for time of day. Once that set was complete the child could go on to anything considered available during their free time. Do you have any other ideas?
Secondly, you mentioned your oldest has autism. So does 5 y o son. My 7 y o son is loving this program and doing great. My 5 y o it's taking longer but he's getting closer to it being more habit like. Any advice you have for how you made it different for your child, compared to other typically developing children in the household... i am sure i could use!
As I said I didn't start the tickets. Well I tried and then pulled back. Instead right now I'm having them complete all daily chores for the sticker on the date card and it's working fairly well.
Thanks for letting me pick your brain!
Kara
www.eisengaadoption.blogspot.com
Post a Comment