Saturday, June 04, 2011

BYU-Sick

I have this funny thing that I haven't written about before.  I LOVE my Alma Matter.  I loved being there so much that I was in no hurry to leave.  It took me 6 years to get my Bachelors degree.  In my defense, I had a high credit major plus a minor and I took summers off.  But really, I was just having so much fun learning I could have taken another 6 to do everything I wanted to.  I want to be a student for the rest of my life.   I have so many great memories and gained so much life experience.  I get so homesick for it sometimes(well, except for the testing center).  On days when I am knee deep in laundry I think about how I miss those times once in a while.  It must have been a blast to be there this year during the Jimmer craze. 

I remember not getting in the first time I applied to BYU. I was devastated.  I prayed fervently late into the night and got the most strong answer to prayer that I had ever received.  The answer was in the scriptures.  I opened them up and the words told me that I would have what I desired (I was 18 and too dumb to write down the reference though).  So I pursued on, made a dramatic jump in my ACT score and was able to get in for the next semester. 

Then when I finally got there I checked into the dorms and headed for campus, my campus.  I remember feeling so humbled to be there.  Every time I would walk up the hill those first few days, I would get choked up.  This was a dream coming true and I was feeling so blessed.  I first toured BYU when I was 16 and fell in love, so to be back as a student was overwhelming.

I met the most amazing lifetime friends there, sisters to me.  Peter and I courted post-mission there.  I got to be a newlywed there, experience my first pregnancy there, and have our first year of being parents there.  Then we got to walk away with degrees, what an awesome feeling.  I hope so much that my children will want to have that amazing experience too.

I woke up this morning thinking about it for some reason.  I cherish my college memories.  I love my life now and wouldn't change one thing, but a little part of me longs to be there again. I know it is silly, but that was just such a special time in my life.  Go Cougars!

1 awesome comments:

The Perry family said...

Go BYU!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin