We were married on August 25th, 2001 in the Portland Oregon LDS Temple. I loved planning our wedding and I am sure I drove my mother crazy with every detail specifically planned out. We bought my dress and my mom spent hours making it more modest and adding beautiful embellisments. The night before, we had a big family picnic. I got a migraine headache from all the stress and had Peter escort me out of sight to throw up. I was obviously too sick and had to go home early. I went home, threw up a couple more times and went to bed. If you get migraines you know how bad they can get. The next morning I got up very early, feeling refreshed, and took my time getting ready for the day. I did my hair and makeup just like I had practiced and made sure everything was just right for the day.
I headed over to the temple around 9am with my parents. I was a bundle of nerves, but so excited. My mom helped me get ready for the ceremony and then we were off. We met up with Peter in the hall a few minutes before the wedding and he handed me a nice cloth handkerchief. It was sweet, he knew me well. Actually about 3 people did that! All of our family went to the sealing room to wait for Peter and I. There were a couple of minutes just before going into the room that Peter and I were able to sit together on a couch and wait to go in. That was so calm and peaceful. We contemplated the importance of what we were about to do and it was really our only private moment of the whole day. That was really special to me.
Then it was time to go. We walked into a room with about 50 of our closest friends and family. I cried happily through the whole ceremony as Peter predicted. One moment we weren't married and the next we were. Its kind of a strange thing that way.
Amazing, we look exactly the same right? Right! Good answer.
We had pictures taken and then went to our luncheon at the Spaggetti Factory in downtown Portland. We sat at this huge long table with one of us on each end with our parents on either side and all four sets of grandparents in between. It is a very special memory to me now to remember all parents and grandparents sitting there, everyone still married(still are), and in good health. It was only a month or 2 later that my Grandpa Arave had a debilitating stroke. Today we have 3 grandparents left between the 2 of us. Nevertheless, we were so lucky to have them all there that day and we have such wonderful examples of how to live a good rightouss life together. I also remember not being able to eat anything, there was just way too much going on for me. I noticed Peter wolfing down his whole plate and drinking several glasses of strawberry lemonaid however.
From there we went to the Beaverton Stake center for the reception. It was beautiful and everyone had worked so hard to make it just how I had wanted it to be. We sang a duet "Grow Old Along With Me" and played our guitars. That was really neat for me. We dance and visited and then we ran through a trail of bubbles to our car. I didn't want a getaway dress, which was very popular at the time, but instead I stayed in my wedding dress to leave. The reception went by way too quick. I have often wished it could have gone longer, but it was wonderful. I got another migraine but did everything I could to ignore it. I wasn't going to let that interrupt my day.
We couldn't get into our car because it was so full of little balloons and covered in silly string, but we somehow managed to get out of there and off to the rest of our lives. I loved my wedding day but mostly I loved who I had married, and still do. I am so glad we have all eternity because a lifetime wouldn't be close to enough.
0 awesome comments:
Post a Comment