I don't make my own bread. I wish I did, but I am just not there at this point. I do buy 100% whole wheat bread, so at least we are trying. But every time I look at the ingredients, it is so frustrating to see what else is in there. I buy the inexpensive loaves at Winco for $1.39. We eat a lot of bread so we can't afford the really expensive stuff. What really gets me is that the 3rd ingredient is high fructose corn syrup. I have been trying to avoid that stuff all together, but I thought that unless I was going to pay a lot more or make my own bread, I was out of luck.
I was expressing this to my sister Elizabeth a couple of weeks ago, when she filled me in on her secret. Over by the deli section they have a brand called Deli-fresh that has a whole wheat variety that is similar to the kind in the front of the store. The big difference though is that there is no HFCS in it! It uses sugar and honey, which is more acceptable to me. The best part? $1.49 each! I can handle paying a few cents more and the bread is good. So I don't feel quite as guilty about not making my own for now. I am so happy with that little change so I thought I would share in case anyone else is trying to cut that out. Thanks Bethy!
P.S. Ketchup is a hard one for me because we really like it, but I was at Winco today and discovered that the Hunts brand does not use HFCS either! So nice of them.
Wednesday, February 16, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 awesome comments:
We've been cutting out HFCS for years. It's frustrating how many things it's in - and that those things are usually cheaper. We buy the wheat bread at Costco. When I first started buying it, it was 2 loaves for $3. It's gone up to 2 loaves for $3.79, but the loaves are big and I think it's still a pretty good deal. We love Trader Joe's too because they don't have HFCS. Their ketchup is soooo good - tastes like real tomatoes are used! Their mayonnaise doesn't have HFCS either. Glad you found some things that work for you!
Post a Comment