Yesterday, I went to meet with a well known advocate to talk about Dallin's services. I really needed to get some advice coming from a neutral party so that I did not feel like advice was coming from a hidden agenda. I have been so nervous with trying to decide whether or not Dallin's services are acceptable or if I wanted to fight for different options. I have been leaning toward keeping what we are doing because he is doing so well in preshool and is getting a social aspect. The advocate agreed with me. He said that unless he is no longer learning and growing at that school than it was a good placement and he really emphasized the social thing too. He said we did well in representing him for getting so much offered to us. So I felt like I could really take a deep breath for the first time in months. That was what I really needed to hear. I want so much to get it right this year for Dallin as he will start Kindergarden next year and he needs to be ready. I feel so much better.
We also have our first appointment with the ABA (applied behavior analysis or in home) therapy on the 25th of this month. I am so glad to see things moving with that. Yay! I just dream about everything being finalized (I need to sign the IEP which accepts his services) and all the programs starting. I am so ready for Dallin to go back to school. I love him so much but I really do need the help. It has been such a long 4 months fighting and pushing to make things happen, not to mention all of the searching and finding little help in Oregon for a year.
I will be asking for direct one on one speech therapy for an hour each week. I don't care if it is in school or not, but I can sign the IEP(individualized education plan) anyway and specify if I don't agree with that part. So hopefully asking will be enough for that. I think I see a light and then end of this tunnel!
Saturday, September 08, 2007
Dallin Update
Posted by Pricilla at 8:24 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 awesome comments:
I am so glad that things are going better down there with Dallin then up here in Oregon.
I'm so happy for you, Pricilla, that things are looking up and you are getting the help that you want for Dallin! I was sitting here thinking, yet again, how amazing I think you are to give up so much to move to CA so Dallin could have the best services. He was very blessed to be born into your family!
What a relief, I'm sure you are so relieved to be able to stop worrying about it and start moving forward. Good job! I'm proud of you for being so persistent and not settling! Keep it up!
How blessed you guys are for doing what you knew was right and moving down there! BUT Oregon had better be in the plans in the future or you're in real big trouble!!
Of Course!!! As soon as we feel it is time.
thanks for the dallin update. you are such a diligent mom- it's funny what feelings overcome us when we turn in to "momma bear" mode, you know? i'm so glad y'all are in the right place at the right time for him!
Post a Comment