Thursday, December 06, 2012

Journal

It seems like I always start with "Life is so busy lately", and its always true! We haven't even had a chance to get a tree yet!  I love the holidays even though it is so busy.  I love the projects, the parties, the decorating, the crafting, the shopping, large doses of family time.  I love it all! The monotony of every day life is put on hold for a few weeks and there are so many fun things to do every day.  Even though I am not good at being calm and turn into a huge stress ball over it, it so worth it.

This year's advent calendar activities are the best yet.  I tried to come up with a variety of service activities, crafty activities, food, and outings.  Here is our list in case I don't blog about every single thing:

1. Zoo Lights
2. Pick out stuffed animals at GW to donate to the foster care system (eagle project in our ward).
3. Paint Christmas pictures.
4. Buy missionary gifts to send.
5. Make orange ornaments. see here
6. Decorate outside/go cut down Christmas tree(also a service project via proceeds).
7. Make fudge and deliver to the nearby fire station.
8. Draw siblings names and shop for a gift with allowance money.
9. Watch a Christmas movie
10. Make a snowman pizza. see here
11. Make Borax snowflakes. see here
12. Christmas tree sleepover.
13. Go get snowman donuts at Krispie Kream.
14. Go see the nativities at the Christmas Creche.
15. Drive around and see Christmas lights in our jammies and get hot chocolate(Dutch Brothers).
16. Make a family fingerprint ornament. see here
17. Make fruit candy canes and eat them. see here
18. Make caramel popcorn and have a movie night. easy recipe
19. Perform a random act of kindness.
20. Caroling and treat plates to neighbors.
21. Dinner for Jesus and gifts for Jesus.
22. Christmas Eve party.
23. Go to Grandmas.

Somewhere in there we are going to do a sleepover at Grandma's too.

Last year a lady that Peter did a job for gave us a large amount of outdoor decorations.  Well, she called again and offered us more.  I went over there and my whole van was filled up with stuff (some for halloween too)! Oh my and some of the stuff is so cute. We plan to have fun once we get a chance to put some of it up.  Mr. Dallin is all about that.

On a different topic, I was able to go to Time Out for Women recently. It was a great experience and I got to spend 2 days with my sister Laurel there as well. Bonus!  It was so uplifting.  I think I needed the spiritual boost since most of my Church meetings are spent in the hallways these days. I got to listen to Sheri Dew, Mary Ellen Edmonds, Jenny Oaks Baker, Hilary Weeks, Laurel Christensen and Wendy Ulrich.  I was so inspired by these women spiritually and their humor about life.  Many of the topics have really given me a lot to think about and evaluate in my life.

Posing with Sheri Dew's chair:


One particular topic was about thinking positive thoughts.  I have realized that negative thoughts really waste my energy.  Even things like getting up in the morning are easier when I think positively.  I don't let myself think "I'm tired" and replace it with a positive thought and I don't feel tired anymore.  It applies to everything in life and has really helped me.  I realized that my negative thoughts are often really me feeling sorry for myself.  That's not the kind of person that I want to be! The power of the mind is almost scary when I realize how much I really have control over who I am and how I feel.

Eden and I went to a party with a white elephant style ornament exchange a couple of days ago.  We look forward to this each year.  This year when picking out our ornaments to bring, I couldn't help but buy a big round ornament with Twilight pictures on it.  I just couldn't believe that people really would want Bella and Edward on their tree. Really??? It did get a good laugh, so a shout out to Target for carrying these sorts of things.

I finally got a camera!  I am so happy with it.  It is a Canon, which I am used to, but I can't wait to learn how to use all of its capabilities.  My last camera did not have video so that will be fun to learn. One thing that was a huge must was good low light capabilities.  Our house does not have as much natural light as more modern homes so that was really important.  It is amazing for that!  I am in love.

I love crafting this time of year.  There are so many great ideas out there.  I have made a couple of gifts, a cute Christmas planner, and a Christmas card holder so far.  I don't know if I will get to all of them, but my list of things to make still includes a wreath, tree skirt, framed christmas subway art, teacher gifts, and gifts for my sisters that I cannot reveal, but am totally pumped about.   I am a project person, so when I am into a good project the house goes by the wayside. You can't do everything at once right?

Speaking of projects, christmas cards are done! That was a big one to check off the list.  I just need to send out a few more stragglers, but the bulk is done. I am feeling pretty good about that.





0 awesome comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin