Today I took Dallin to an initial evaluation with the Regional Center. They are the ones who fund all of the therapies and stuff. This is separate than the school district which provides the preschool. As you have probably heard me say a million times, I really want to push for intensive in home behavior therapy. I was so happy to finally have this appointment and was really hoping to get things moving. I even have an agency for the therapy lined up, I just need the funding from this regional center. Sorry if that is so confusing. Anyway, I spent 2 hours answering questions and filling out forms for Dallin while Dallin tore apart her office and really showed his colors. This disappointment was that she said he needs to be officially diagnosed by their psychologist before they can give him eligibility because his diagnosis in Oregon was over a year ago. It makes me mad because she even said that she thinks he is eligible after being with him for the 2 hours. So the soonest opening for this 3 hour evaluation is July 23rd. AHHHH! Then after the psychologist writes up his report I have to wait for another meeting where we will finally know what services will be provided. I think we could really do without the psychologist and it just really frustrates me. Dallin's school schedule is year round so they take a few weeks off here and there. He will have the first 3 weeks of July off and I will be on my own again with no help and precious time wasted. I made the lady promise me that if there were any cancellations with the psychologist she would call me and I would come in. I plan to call periodically to check on that.
Enough with my ranting, there is a little good going on. He is in a great school setting which is so great. Also, there is a couple in our ward who are behavior therapists. They have come over to our house to give us some help with Dallin and I have learned a lot just from that. They even sat with us at church and totally had Dallin sitting through almost the whole 1st hour (amazing results really). This gives me hope because they are so nice and willing to help us some until the other stuff starts up. What a blessing. I am so glad that we are in the ward we are in. The primary president is very supportive as well. I know that we are supposed to be right where we are. So more patience and persistence, and I know we will get there.
Tuesday, June 12, 2007
One step forward, two steps back
Posted by Pricilla at 10:25 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 awesome comments:
it'll come together. i really admire your persistance...things a mom will so for her baby, huh? sounds like such a blessing with your ward...glad to hear it! is there not another psychologist you can use, or does it have to be THAT one?
Good luck! Hopefully something will open up sooner!
I'm glad things are moving forward...even if it is slowly. That is awesome about the couple in your ward. I hope things continue in this positive direction for you. I hope that I am ever faced with a similar challenge, that I would be willing to make the kinds of sacrifices you have made. You are an amazing mom!
Post a Comment