Friday, March 05, 2010

Eager to Learn

Dallin is in a major question asking phase! I can't believe this is the same kid I knew 3 years ago, it is mind boggling. I am finding that I have to remind myself to be grateful (so very grateful indeed when I reflect on it) that he CAN ask me 5000 questions a day. Any answer given only leads to more questions, he wants to understand how everything in this world works and why. I admire his passion for life and never want him to lose the joy he finds in it. Those wheels never stop turning. I really love to learn and want to instill a respect and love for the unlimited opportunities to learn that we have in this country in my children. I mean all of it, secularly and spiritually in our religion. Watching Dallin soaking things up like a human sponge is amazing and I feel so much joy in that.

Yesterday as I walked him to school he told me that he loved going to school, so he can learn! That was music to my ears. That tells me that he is finally adjusted to his new school atmosphere and is ready to learn and be happy there. He has been trying so hard to adjust to the new people, structure, schedule, classroom etc. Now it feels routine to him so he is beginning to flourish again.

Tonight I took Dallin and Eden to see their first play. Aunt Lucy(who was the cutest munchkin in all of Munchkin Land!) was in her middle school performance of "The Wizard of Oz". Dallin sat next to his Grandpa and asked questions the whole time as he watched and tried to understand the characters. It was so much that his talking was becoming a distraction to those around us and I had to ask him to be quieter. It feels a bit counter-intuitive because language is a gift that prayed for him to have for so long.

On the way home he went on and on with his questions about any topic at hand. I was tiring of it a little and kind of started to tune it out, when he caught me off guard:

Dallin: What does that blue sign mean with the upside down jelly fish?
Me: What? I don't know what your are talking about.
Dallin: Right there, what does that mean?
Me: (looking around at the signs and passing surroundings) What are you talking about? I don't see any jelly fish.
Dallin: There! (pointing at the in dash system lights)
Me:(I finally notice that my bright lights were on and so the little picture was lit up in the dashboard. It is a half circle shape with 3 lines coming up out of it.) Oh! That does look like an upside down jellyfish!

We proceeded to talk about what we use the brights for and when all the way home(15 minutes). I wouldn't think that you could talk about the bright lights of your car for so long, but apparently there is alot to be said about them.

2 awesome comments:

Cami said...

aaawwww! Sweet boy.

april b said...

Love it! So many questions can drive a parent crazy, but are such a good sign of an active mind! Go Dallin!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin