Saturday, March 20, 2010

Going All Uchtdorf Up in Here

When Eden was a little Baby, my Mother in Law gave me a sweet gift.  She gave me a skirt, and bought another one and had it made into a little baby skirt.  It was kinda fun to got to church all matching.  I still have the skirts and now the little one fits Lily.

Our garage is a wreck.  We had a ton of stuff in there from our move home, and when the basement flooded, all of our storage that was in the basement went to the garage as well.  I was out there looking for something recently and I came across a big tub of my sewing stuff that had been in storage.  I recognized some of the fabric right away and pulled it out curiously. 

When Lori had the little baby skirt made, she had given me what was left from the bigger skirt it was made from.  I had totally forgotten! I used one of Edens skirts as a pattern and managed to make the remnants into another skirt.  I had to be a little tricky, but from a distance you can't really see how I had to make do with what I had. So now Lily will wear the baby skirt, Eden has the new one and I will wear mine so we can all match!  I know its cheesy, but I don't care, its totally fun!

When I started having kids, I gave up sewing.  I enjoy it, but just didn't think it would work well for me with little ones around.  I just told myself that I will be able to sew again, but not in this season of life.  So pulling out my sewing machine and creating a cute little skirt was quite a treat.  I had so much fun, that I am rethinking my philosophy on the subject.  I didn't want to stop so I decided to make some hair decorations to match.  I browsed some Etsy shops for ideas and went to it.

Here's the new addition to complete our set:

Here's a headband for Eden.  I just cut out different sized circles out of the extra fabric and skirt lining and stitched it to a headband we had lying around.  I really didn't want to buy anything for this project so I sacrificed a necklace that I rarely wear for the center beads. I love how it turned out:
Yes, that is chocolate on her face. 
For Lily's I found another head wrap type headband lying around and sized it down by sewing a new seam.  Then I just stitched the same circle decorations onto it.  I wanted the headband to be scrunched around the sides so I just handstitched them in place as well. Nice crusties and spit bubbles Lil:

I was too lazy to stitch around the circles to keep them from fraying so I will have to be very careful with them. I probably should have done that.
I Can't wait to take pictures of us all dressed up in our matchies!  Brother Uchtdorf is right, I feel very satisfied.

"The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul. No matter our talents, education, backgrounds, or abilities, we each have an inherent wish to create something that did not exist before.


Everyone can create. You don’t need money, position, or influence in order to create something of substance or beauty.


Creation brings deep satisfaction and fulfillment. We develop ourselves and others when we take unorganized matter into our hands and mold it into something of beauty..."
-Dieter F. Uchtdorf, “Happiness, Your Heritage,” Ensign, Nov 2008, 117–20

4 awesome comments:

Jen said...

Those are awesome! I totally remember those skirts, too! I just made some flowers for me and my girls tihs weekend...a quick fix for the edges...I burned mine using a lighter...they look totally cute and it was EASY!

Sarah said...

I am a big believer that mommies NOT give up what makes them happy. Sew Cilla sew! Those headbands are darling!! In case burning doesn't work, just get fray check at JoAnns. I have three girls and let me tell you I match them as often as I can. Nothing wrong with that! :)

Marnie Bergeson said...

I can't wait to see a pictures of you three together. I love it!

Yours Truly said...

Totally adorable. You are so creative. I miss you

Blog Widget by LinkWithin