I have always tried to get a good variety of food in my kid's diet, but it takes some work. Having slotted children's plates has really helped me get balanced meals in. Putting something different in each spot gives variety and I just eyeball it to see which food group we still need. It is really a helpful prompt for me. If I see that we still need a dairy, I will just add a slice of cheese to a slot, or if we need a fruit it reminds me to add that in. After a while of using the many sloted plates I decided to simplify the lunch plates with just 2 slots which I think is enough for lunch.
Saturday, October 18, 2008
More than just cute plates
Posted by Pricilla at 9:02 AM
Labels: Health and Nutrition, Parenting
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 awesome comments:
I was at kaiser the other day(actually last month or 2) in their education library in south sac and they are new selling a divided plate(like you pictured) by the American Diabetes Association for that exact purpose, so you know how much of each food group to eat. It's really a great idea. I know that about a year ago we changed the way we eat and now when I cook a meal using a recipe. I read the recipe to find out how many portions it serves and I dish out all the food into tupperwear to make sure I am serving a single portion. The we freeze it and Josh takes it to work for lunch.
Post a Comment