I am not exactly sure, but I think it took somewhere between 2 or 3 hours to go through these chapters. Using the student manual and the footnotes has been so educational. I can understand ancient parables that Isaiah uses and how his writings applied to his day and also to us. the margins of my scriptures quickly filled up with notes and meanings. I was also able to chunk sections of scriptures together to help me understand the general meaning or topic.
So one of the most awesome things was in the footnotes regarding Isaiah 2:16. Nephi qoutes this scripture from the brass plates as well, but it has a small phrase that the KJ does not. Not that exiting except the Greek version of the bible has the phrase too, but is missing a phrase that KJ has. The BOM has all three phrases. In other words: The Greek (Septuagint) has "ships of the sea." The Hebrew has "ships of Tarshish." The BOM has both, showing that the brass plates had lost neither phrase. I learned from the Student Manual that scholars may suggest that Joseph Smith had taken the phrase from the Greek verson. The problem with that is that Joseph did not know Greek and there is no evidence that he even had access to the Septuagint when he was translating the BOM. The only conclusion: The BOM is true of course!
Monday, November 05, 2007
Isaiah 1-2
Posted by Pricilla at 12:47 PM
Labels: Scriptures, Spiritual
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 awesome comments:
Post a Comment