These chapters are such a roller coaster. Isaiah seems to go from talking of how evil Israel had become to the wonderful gathering of Israel. I have really tried to understand each of the symbolisms and relate them to what that would have meant in the time of Israel and how that could relate to us now. One of the verses that stood out the most to me was in 5:20
"Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter. "
Boy this really describes our world today. Especially if you think about television and movies and the morals that seem to be so "normal".
Chapter 5 also has one of Isaiah only parables. He gives a great parable of a vineyard that reminds me a lot of Jacobs allegory. There are not many parables in the Old Testament. They are mostly in the New Testament.
I really like studying the chapters and getting as much as I can out of them and then listening to the BYU professors discuss their take on it. It gives me even more insights that I would not have thought of. Like in 5:29. This could easily relate to missionaries of today as the "young lions". I am sure I am only getting a small sampling of the depth of Isaiah, but I am feeling the spirit and learning so much that it is not really as scary of a book than I have always thought.
Saturday, November 10, 2007
Isaiah 3-5
Posted by Pricilla at 10:18 AM
Labels: Scriptures, Spiritual
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 awesome comments:
Post a Comment