Thursday, January 31, 2008

A Mothers Touch

Once again, I have learned that my mood affects the whole family. This week, for some reason, I have been so frustrated with the kids and trying really hard not to show it. I think pregancy has really affected my ability to cope with our toddler busyness. The last few days Dallin's noncompliance issues were at an all time high. Whatever I wanted him to do, he would give that mischeivious grin and do whatever he could to make me go crazy instead. He has actually been so much better at going to bed the last couple of weeks and then I had another really hard night of putting him to bed which just added to everything. Eden was also giving so much drama whenever she was upset and her whining and tantrums felt like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. So as I thought about what in the world was making things so much more stressful than normal, I came to the conclusion that it was me. I was not using the motherly patience that was required and it was making me stress out. I knew the kids deserved more, but I was so tired physically and mentally and I didn't feel like I had it in me. So yesterday, I told myself, I had to do better. These kids need a patient mommy who talks in sweet loving tones. I had to be nurturing and be better at creating a peaceful mood in the home.

So yesterday, I was so nervous about Dallin coming home from school because his home therapy was cancelled and I knew I was going to have to face the noncompliance alone. So, when he got home I gave him a big hug and talked to him all about whatever we could think of in a very animated way. I helped him go potty, and made sure not to be too demanding. Then I helped him find some toys to play with and only used positive words. The difference was so amazing. All of the sudden he was on my side again. We were laughing and playing and It was the same with the other kids too. I don't even think I was being a whole lot different, they just sense it. Anyway, we had a wonderful afternoon with bike riding, a walk with our new stroller, family dinner, and scriptures and prayers went better than ever before. They kids were so happy they were hugging Peter and I and each other because the spirit of love was so strong. Then I gave each of them a clean up chore with toys and they happlily did it. Okay, that is new! Bed time was a complete breeze too and I was completely stress free. All night I had the song Love at Home in my head. I wish every day could be like that. I wanted to write about it so that I could remember that it is possible. Being a mother sure does give all the reasons in the world to strive for perfection. There is no room for selfishness. It is kind of embarrassing to admit that we don't have this love at home all the time, but this is a good lesson for me and it is real life. One of my friends refers to parenting as a "refiners fire", and that is so true. There is no better way to describe it.

5 awesome comments:

Heidi said...

how neat! im glad things went good

Heidi said...

how neat! im glad things went good

Larry and Michelle Dickinson said...

It is SO true! Either you add to the chaos and make it worse, or you neutralize it and make a loving atmosphere. It is amazing how strong a mother's influence is- and kind of scarry!

Julia said...

good post cilla. what a good experience. i will have to remember that next time i am frustrated with my ONE child..my gosh i don't know how you do it with three!

Danielle said...

That's a great reminder! I found out that same thing recently. Whenever things get really stressful, the first thing I think of is "What is wrong with these kids?' I finally figured out that's it usually me having the problem and not them. That sure changes everything!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin